Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Hello my beautiful family!

Thank you for your letters and emails. Rach congrats on all of your running. So proud, you can whip me into shape and Jenn congrats on your play! Be prepared to act out some stuff for me :) 

We had Elder Anderson of the Presidency of the Seventy come to speak to us. He explained that the church is growing fast...so fast that it will be doubled in numbers soon. and we will need double the amount of leaders ie bishops, stake pres, relief society pres, primary pres.... and it hit me. One of the reasons of the age change, (now almost two years ago) is to prepare the MANY future leaders of the church. There is a big work to do and this mission is all to help us prepare for this growth. Heavenly Father has his hand in all of this, He knows what He's doing :) I'm so grateful to be on the right team. 

I'm sure you've all heard about "Meet the Mormons" I have watched this trailer so many times I can't count it. I'm just a little excited for this to come out. President/Elder Anderson said that they showed this movie to an audience of non-members. After watching it 70% said they would let the missionaries into their home...70%! This is a great tool the church will have to show we are human, but humans with an incredible belief in our Savior, Jesus Christ. To get it to show in New Jersey we have to request it online and have members request it too...we are working pretty hard to get the members to request this film because of what it will do for the missionary work around here. 

Today I have one month left to wear this name tag. I've been reflecting on my mission. I love it. These past 17 months I have experienced the gospel, felt the joy of serving the lord and learned more than I can write in this short amount of time. I have encountered miracle after miracle and learned line upon line of Gods plan for each of us, and felt of His love! There have been points here I have had to cling to my Savior to make it through....It was those times that I came to understand the need for the Atonement. It is these times that I treasure the most on my mission. He has strengthened me when I had nothing left to give. I am grateful for these trials. Like a refiners fire, I can't become who He wants me to be without going through some pretty hot flames. 

So I will continue to sing this loud and proud 

"Onward, ever onward, as we glory in His name
Forward pressing forward as a triumph song we sing. 
God our strength will be; press forward ever
Called to serve our king!" 

I'm ready and excited to give all I can my last month as a set apart representative. 

I love you all! Thank you for your love...support and encouragement! 

Sending love from the Garden State
Sister Houghton

Had a miracle last week while emailing and met a man named Jeffrey (6'5 black guy) that came over to us and asked if we could meet. He's searching for truth, he was leaving the library when we first met him, when we said hello he turned around and followed us in and said there was something different about us. He calls us the "little sistas" He was supposed to come to church but had a meeting yesterday, he called to apologize and said "I'm so sorry I missed,

I had a meeting, I wish I could have been having a meeting with Jesus like you little sistas were" We think he is awesome and are excited to share our message with him!





fun fact: wawa means baby in spanish...my district leader told me that
            in South NJ wawa means cool gas station 
           North Jersey Wawa is a bus that takes you into NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment