Monday, September 15, 2014

Hello Family! 

We've had a great week here!  found out this morning that BOTH Sister Rogers and I are going to be together another transfer. I love her a lot and I'm grateful to serve my last one....MY LAST transfer here in Freehold. I've had several moments the past week when it HIT me, that this is my last transfer...like when I made my last planner and started to cry. I'm being a big ol' worry wort. I can't control it but I'm grateful I still have 6 weeks to work and serve. I love this place more than I can describe. New motto- "Oh Lord, I have trusted thee, and I will trust in thee forever"

 

Besides all the emotional stuff we are making progress here in the land of Freehold! Last Monday we found a VERY prepared women on a street corner in Matawan while looking for a person interested in our message. She immediately opened up to us about her spiritual journey and some of big difficulties going on in her life. The spirit was strong and we said a prayer of gratitude to have met her. Walking away I realized we met her on the exact same street corner, we had found a VERY prepared Spanish man the week before. I told Sister Rogers we were going to stand on that street corner every Monday at that same time. We have found the promised land :) 

We have been instructed (side note some of my language is now sounding a lot like the scriptures. Sister Rogers pointed it out to me this week) to get 3-6 hours of service a week, the members have been really helping us out and we are now becoming certified organizers, cleaners and old folks home guests greeters. Truly we are in the service of God when we serve others. It's been incredible. 

We got in contact with a less-active Sister  who had been avoiding us for a while. We both felt we should just read from the Book of Mormon with her. The beginning of the lesson we felt some negative feelings.... stress? contention? not a good feeling in the air. I said a prayer for help and as we continued to read from the Book of Mormon the Spirit slowly poured into the room. She opened up to us and told us some fears, concerns and how she could feel something different as we read. She said "I miss this" The whole atmosphere of the lesson changed. After the prayer we all took a moment to listen and feel the spirit. She asked us if we could come back the next day. All of this reminded me of the crucial role the Book of Mormon has in our conversion process. The Spirit only testifies of truth. This Book changes lives. It has changed mine. I treasure it more than any other possession I own. It contains the fullness, the whole gospel on the earth. I know it is true. I love sharing this knowledge with others. I simply love being a Missionary!

Good news! Our Jewish friend loves the Book of Mormon, He is getting really close to accepting Christ as the Savior. We are so close.

Thank you for your prayers, letters, love and examples! I love you all! 

Sending love from the Garden State,
Sister Houghton

P.S Sister Pastores is TRAINING!!! :) I am a Grandma again. I feel so blessed to have such a great mission family. 

Awkward story
We were Teaching a Brother who is  less-active in an old folks home about the restoration. This man is a few french fries short of a happy meal...if you know what I mean. Every time we asked a question about prophets or Heavenly Father he would clasp his hands and say "You are so beautiful....soo, sooo sooo beautiful" or "I bet your boyfriend at home can't wait for you to get back...." (no idea where he even got that idea) anyways we would try to tie what he said back to the restoration. It was getting pretty awkward. He said he LIKES women and has kissed at least one other resident in front of us..? Needless to say we are going to be staying FAR away from him.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment