Monday, October 6, 2014

October 6th, 2014

Hello Hello Familia!

Happy October! The leaves are changing and I can feel Fall in the air. It is hot one minute and then freezing the next, I have almost brought back the 90's style of tying a jacket around my waist again. 
Mom thanks for that cute card! (and the moonies) Sister Rogers loved it as well.

We had a surprise here in the beautiful NJMM. We had a special showing of "Meet the Mormons" I laughed, I cried. It will touch your heart. Especially the Candy-bomber (my heart melted at his story) and the Mom. She is incredible. A story any missionary/missionary family will love, any convert...or someone just struggling. WATCH MEET THE MORMONS. It will bless you, Lift your spirits and you will feel the Spirit. :) Unfortunately, we don't have enough people in NJ requesting it, so it doesn't look like the movie will be playing here :( It is going to change the face of missionary work, oh well, we will continue to try. 

Sister Ransom spent all Sunday with us watching Gen Conference, she has officially stopped smoking-(as of Friday :) and chopped off her hair to start a whole new self. She has changed! I met her on an exchange almost 8 months ago, she was completely less-active and now she is back! and feels happy. She is glowing. Miracles of the gospel :) We are still in the Finding mode, but are seeing miracles as we are contacting. I just simply love this work. 
Do you remember the picture of Sister Scotto? She's the Elderly woman that wears her sparkly boot shoes to church. When we went to visit her at the old folks home she had bought each of us a pair! She told us she has really been struggling and our visits help her get from one week to the next. I was touched by her gift and simply love her. 
The sparkly shoes, maybe we will do a dance act at the next ward function. 
How about General Conference!?! Did you catch the themes? What was your conference take away? This is mine- the brethren addressed the issues of the world by inviting us to look to the Prophet. Follow his guidance. Receive Revelation and to be Of the World not IN. How about Jorg Klebingat? Wow, what a bold man. Sister Rogers and I tried to discover all we could about this man, This is what we found out:  he is 47 and called as a General Authority while being a mission president in Ukraine.
 I loved his list of things we need to do so we can be "Spiritually Confident" when we face the Savior. Reminded me of Alma's self-reflecting questions he asks the wicked people in Zarahemla. God's the same yesterday, today and forever. 
And Elder Ballard -( Mom you mentioned him in your letter.) But wow! What a beautiful comparison for us and the gospel. "#1 rule stay in the ship. If you leave the ship you will surely drown" Without this Gospel I would be lost! I would be drowned. If you are lost, come back. The great ship Zion is for all of us. There is no capacity limit. This ship will give you the safety from the storms outside. I know that this is the way to safety, to total and complete happiness. Come Join the Great Ship ZION. This ship is heading to a beautiful destination. 
The close of this General Conference was very tender for me. It struck me that this is the last time I would watch general conference as a full-time Representative. With his name tag over my heart. I touched my name tag and said a prayer of gratitude for all of the many wonderful experiences I have had. 
I love this work! :) I am so grateful to be here! Thank you for all of your love and support! 
Sending love from Jersey
Sister Houghton
At the Meet the Mormons Premier in NJMM, this is Sister Merkley.
Picking my own peaches.


No comments:

Post a Comment