Wednesday, September 3, 2014

August 25th, 2014


Family!

I almost jumped out of my seat looking at the Ogden temple pictures. I am in awe. So beautiful!! I might cry when I see it in real life. 

Wow. We have had an incredible week here in FREEEEhold. To start we went to the battlefield orchards to pick our own peaches I believe it is fruit from the heavens. We literally picked peaches in the battle fields, the battle fields of the Revolutionary war.  Walked till our feet almost fell off because sometimes Sister Missionaries direction is not good.  We were saved by some very nice Egyptians at the gas station, and they might be coming to church (yay!) Today (why I am emailing later) we went to the Jersey Shore and the boardwalk. I feel like I can now be a true Jersey-ian. All I needed was a fin-fun and my life would be complete.   but mostly what made this week incredible was the spirit I have felt like almost no other time on my mission and maybe my life. It has been incredible. 

Our mission president has made it a HUGE focus to have "spiritual connections" with people, listen and ask the right questions to help them feel the spirit-- and wow! we have been praying for guidance and direction to have these connections on a daily basis. We met Debbie walking her dogs (petting dogs is a great way to start talking to people, I know! this might be the reason I'm not scared of dogs anymore) she had lots of plan of salvation questions, but there was something else there, we both felt the spirit guide us with the right words, questions and testimony. After we said a prayer with her she said she had never felt that way before, and started to cry. Sister Rogers and I both embraced her and were able to teach her about the spirit. When we left Debbie she said I will never forget you. It goes both ways. We will never forget Debbie. 

We met with our investigator John. He is like I've said before a big guy. BIGGGGG guy. He also has a lot of back pain, while we were teaching him the first part of the Restoration he had to do some yoga moves to relieve the pain, kind of intimidating if you ask me. But he has the biggest heart. Teaching John is unlike anything I have ever seen or experienced. He loves to evaluate and ponder each concept, talk about some deep thinking. The thoughts he has, I have never thought of before. I know we are teaching John, but in many ways he is teaching us. The Spirit was guiding us, when we got to Christ's Earthly Ministry we stopped and felt the spirit guide us to ask him what he knew about Christ. He paused for a long time (before this he was unsure if Christ was his Savior) and then something incredible happened. He started to describe his faith in Christ.  A beautiful sweet feeling entered the room. As he spoke the feeling became stronger, and more intense. He shared his hopes and then after a while his knowledge that Christ lives. Once he stopped speaking, we could barely speak, the Spirit was strong. we asked if he could feel it. He told us he was "on fire" and it was unlike anything he had ever felt before. The Spirit was testifying along with John about our Savior. His sacrifice and His love for each and everyone of us.  John told us he is "in Love with the Gospel" We absolutely love him, the gospel is changing him. 

It is hard to describe exactly what happened in this lesson. I was reminded that this is exactly what we are here to share. That HE LIVES. He died for us. He knows us individually. He loves us. At the end of the day this is what it is all about. "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ" (2 Nephi 25:26)  It is because of Him that all of this is possible. I love him with my entire being for it. I love this work. I am blessed to wear his name above my heart. 

I love you all! Thank you for your love and support
These girls live in Philly but we sometimes teach them when their here in Jersey. They came to church and LOVE us, I think love is an understatement, we are best friends, ha they remind me so much of our little cousins, I wish they lived here.


Sending love from Jersey
Sister Houghton

No comments:

Post a Comment