Tuesday, April 29, 2014

April 22, 2014


Happy Spring! 

I love spring. There is something special in the air....more people are out and about AND the flowers have been blooming here in the lovely Garden State. This past week, we found some golden people contacting, ran up and down the street testifying of the resurrected Christ, (Happy Easter!) was almost kissed by an old Italian man (it was a close call) Bobby a street contact told me he loved me.....(yes I was VERY awkward about that) ran over another Sister missionaries foot..... in a car. She was ok, but has a car tire imprint now on her foot. I feel horrible about it. AND I shook hands with an Apostle of the Lord. 

We celebrated my year mark (I can't believe it...) on walking day. We walked to Pats home and had been praying long and hard for what to teach her, we both felt STRONGLY to teach the Word of Wisdom. Right when we sat down Pat said "Sisters, I need to show you something" She pulled out a magazine and started to read to us about the benefits for living a healthy life, eating right and avoiding some foods and harmful things. She told us she needed to be healthier but wasn't really sure how....well Sister Andrus and I just smiled at each other and then went into the Word of Wisdom. Heavenly Father knew what Pat needed at that very second. 

Easter Sunday we were fed by an amazing family in the ward, I love this area and feel very blessed to be here. 

L. Tom Perry came to our mission yesterday (his wife is President Jeppson’s cousin, he set them up :) ) It was incredible to be taught at the feet of an apostle, he spoke on the order of the Apostleship and the priesthood. What I learned is that God is the same yesterday today and forever and ORDER is a part of God, a way to grow and learn. His church is the exact same blue print as when Christ was on the earth. It was a powerful experience for all of the missionaries there. He opened it up to questions at the end; one elder asked "What does it mean when you say you are a special Witness of Jesus Christ?" He said that when called as a General Authority you must give your life to the Lord, and become a special witness to the World that He lives.  Then he stopped and said "There are things that are so special and sacred I can't repeat....at this time, BUT I am a special witness of Him" We all shook his hand and I was touched by how much love he has for everyone he met. It was a special meeting.  

Studying the atonement this week I've come to understand that it is BECAUSE Christ was resurrected He has healing power.  The scriptures describe it as "Healing in his wings" we can be fully and completely healed because of his power and the mercy he has for us. 

I'm grateful to be here. Every day is a challenge, an opportunity and a blessing! 2 Nephi 27:26

Sending love from New Jersey
Sister Houghton

Sister Concepcion. Love her. She is an amazing woman.  She fed us yesterday. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment