Sunday, October 19, 2014

October 14, 2014


Hi family!

I am sitting...staring at this computer screen with no words. How can I describe my love for this work? or my Savior? Maybe love isn't even a strong enough word to describe how I feel, but I will say that I love this calling. 

There is never a dull moment and always so much change. Something I used to hate before, and now I sort of love it. The Assistants called us and told us we were getting a new companion....Sister Cobb :) She is one of the most positive and loving sisters in the mission, reminds me a lot of Jazel from Enchanted.... Its  been great! Never a dull moment, and some bonding experiences I won't repeat here....(but if you want to know you can ask me in person in a little while) I got to start my mission in a Trio and now I am ending it this way, how blessed am I? 
 
famous mission wall
back of mission card is almost double as long as any other missionary, soo many transfers 


To mix up our finding approach we decided to try something new, we stood at a corner of 7/11 waving our Book of Mormons and singing church hymns.  It was one of the funnest hours of my life. try it :)  insta-happiness. 
- 7/11 contacting on walking day
Made cake like a poached egg...our oven doesn't work
We have been in less-active heaven lately. Those who are coming back to activity are progressing and changing, almost like they are a  new person. I love seeing the changes.

We were supposed to watch the Joseph Smith The Prophet of the Restoration with Sister Ransom at the chapel, well I accidentally forgot the DVD, definitely not a first time this has happened! We weren't sure what to do, but said a prayer and felt strongly to talk about the Word Of Wisdom. It turned out to be a spirit filled power house lesson. and then it hit me, maybe Heavenly Father gives us a "Stupor of thought" so we can rely on him more. Trust in the Lord thy God with all thine heart. He will guide us. 

We had two sessions of stake conference to go to, (all so incredible) and a fireside that Elder Perry broadcasted. It  was about the World Fair in 1964. The Church put on a Mormon exhibit and the effect revolutionize missionary work. Because of that exhibit there was over a thousand convert baptisms every year after the fair. In 1963 (one year before the Fair) the New York Mission-which covered all of New Jersey, Connecticut and New York had 6 convert baptisms. A HUGE difference. The church said that the "Meet the Mormons" is going to have the same effect as the Worlds Fair. Can you imagine? I've been trying to but I can't. This is an amazing tool to use, so go and see it and invite people to see it! BTW Grandpa and Grandma Houghton I love how you worked closely with the Nepali man. It was a fun to see a small part of your mission over there :)

I have been studying, praying and serving with my all heart my whole mission. Now I get to push harder and fight with everything I have, my time is ticking and I want to be able to say to my Savior I gave my all to Him. I know that this is His work. He lives and knows us individually. I love you all! 

Sending Love from Jersey
Sister Houghton

the fam! :) 
Proof the mission changes you...I ordered sushi

p.s next Monday I will probably be at Ellis Island so I will email Tuesday? 

No comments:

Post a Comment