Monday, May 6, 2013

HELLO from the BIG APPLE! That's right, My dreams have officially come true, I'm serving in the beautiful state of New York. Before I left on my mission I remember thinking this is the one area I wanted to serve in, and here I am! The lord answers our prayers. From the top of the hill I can see New York City's skyline. I always give it a little wave. It is absolutely gorgeous and so different from life in Utah. The roads are tinny and weave in and out. I get car sick really easy, I'm hoping that will pass when my body gets used to the roads?

Transfer Conference was amazing. It was hard to let my old companions and plane buddies go but we we're so excited to get to work. President Jeppson would call out the trainer's name and then call one of us newbie’s. When he called this trainer with bright curly red hair I had the strongest impression she was my trainer, good thing they called my name because I was already walking to meet her. 
My companion is the beautiful Sister Ward from Kaysville Utah and a track runner for UVU that loves nutrition. I feel like I'm living with Amber. It's wonderful. She has such a sweet spirit about her, so nice and always has nice things to say about others. She's a gem. Sister Wards's only been out 3 months and happens to be one of the "young'ns" sometimes I feel old. She is amazing. I feel so blessed to be her companion. 
The first day we were here we gathered in Newark's central area, grabbed a companion and ran off to find people to give a book of mormon or pass along cards. There is a special power in this work and even when people are running away from us....this work is still fun! 
Rockland County has 300,000 people living in it and 100,000 people are Jews. I've never seen so many in my whole entire life. We're not allowed to proselyte to them, so that leaves us to almost 200,000 people without the gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives. There is a LOT of work to do. On Saturday Sister Ward and I knocked on 106 doors. Most people tell us their not interested; we've only gotten a few door slams. One many informed us that he wasn't feeling very religious today, come back on a Sunday? Good times. I've seen more "interesting" things that day than my whole entire life. Sister Ward tells me to just look at people in the eyes....it helps reduce the craziness. 
We tracted into Parley P. Pratts great-great grandson. He told us he's read the Book of Mormon and he knows it's true, but he doesn't want to leave his church? I hope he will have a change of heart. 
We're teaching the cutest little 9 year old boy named Brent. He is literally a grown man in a little body. His mother recently passed away and he spends a lot of time at his grandma’s house. I can't even describe how much I love that little boy. We left him with the movie "The Restoration" he's been watching it and believes the restoration is true. We are going to be teaching him more this week, I can't wait! 
Church is different out here. The New City Ward that covers all of Rockland County.  They have 2 or 3 families total in the whole ward, most members are recent converts that come by themselves. It breaks my heart, when church started we had 32 members at church. There is so much work to do. We invited 15 investigators/less-actives to church and we had one show up. But that's ok! We are going to figure out a way to get them to come. Church is so important! And I pray that these sweet people can understand that. 

I feel as if I've been serving here for a long time. I feel an immediate love for the people around me; everyone is so unique and amazing. They all have so much worth. I can feel just a little bit of Heavenly Father's love. 
I love this gospel! Love you all!! 
Sister Heather Sue 

Heather's Trainer Sister Ward from Kaysville, UT

Sister Smedley my cousin from another cousin :) we're in the same zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment