Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 14, 2014 Happy Birthday


Dearest Family

I hope everyone got their free Slurpee....we defiantly got ours :) Thank you for all the Birthday Wishes and letters, so wonderful! I can't believe I'm 22....I am old?

This past week has been interesting with our investigators. We went to see Marie, and she is not willing to change some beliefs right now, I bore my testimony to her and told her when she was ready to change to call us, I have learned that dropping Investigators is one of the hardest things I've had to do on my mission. It is a complete act of faith. Trusting that there is someone else we need to meet. Marie had become one of my favorite people, my heart physically broke, I'm grateful that I was able to teach her and I know someday she will be prepared. 
We have been banned from teaching Frankie due to some questionable encounters and phone calls..in the middle of the night. That literally put our number of investigators to...uno. But I have realized that this is a great opportunity for us to completely trust and ecxersize our faith. 

We were praying to know were to contact/knock and both Sister Crow and I felt prompted to knock a certain complex at the very bottom of the area. This little neck/section of our "vineyard" has some unique characteristics about it...

#1 there are over 60 Apartment buildings with close to 20 apartments in each one (missionaries dream :))
#2 99.9% of the people are from India (we call it Little India...Curry anyone?) 
#3 because of #2 most of the people don't have a Christian background (almost all of them) 

This revelation was a little of a shock to both of us, and it has been an act of faith to GO and DO. 

When we got there on Saturday we both felt like which building should we start at? Sort of overwhelming...well God is a God of Order so we headed to #1 and knocked for a couple of hours. That whole time we met 2 people who were not Indian, and had no success. I thought why are we even knocking here?...EVERYONE IS HINDU! Immediately I felt completely guilty for thinking that, Mormon said "we receive no witness until after the trial of our faith" right? so we went back yesterday and the first door we knocked we met Santosh! He opened his door with a BIG smile on his face. He said he wants to learn more and is going to have his son sit with us in our next lesson. We were speechless. It hit me, God knows us. He KNOWS who needs to hear about the gospel. We don't. If we just TRUST him he will guide us. TRUST HIM. HE TRUSTS US. And so we will continue to knock and pray and testify. 

Diego is doing better than AMAZING. He is INCREDIBLE. The Bishop and a family in the ward came with us to teach him some commandments and give Diego a blessing to help overcome some minor addictions. It was such a beautiful blessing and Diego said he felt like he wasn't even in the room. He came to church on Sunday and is just hungry for knowledge. It was a beautiful Sunday. 

Just wanted to say that we had some huge tender mercies on Friday, which happened to be my birthday. and the end of my license. we had appointments in a town a lot farther than we could walk, and thanks to prayer the assistants and you MOM AND AMBER the license arrived just in time. I can still DRIVE! such a tender mercy. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! 

I love you all! Keep sharing the gospel! 

I can't wait till another Elder joins me out here! Just a couple more weeks- Elder Houghton :) 

Sending love from Jersey
Sister Houghton
7-11 Birthday Slurpee:)
Happy Birthday (the one one the right is SISTER SMEDLEY our cousins- cousin :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment