Thursday, October 10, 2013

Hello my BEATUIFUL FAMILY!
 
This last week we have seen Heavenly Fathers HAND in his work! This is the best calling. I got to mow a lawn! (Felt like I was home) ate Goose Liver, it’s actually not that bad, but I might have dry heaved when they told me what it was. AND AL's on track for baptism on SUNDAY! He stopped drinking coffee and watched 2 whole sessions of conference! He even shaved his beard. It is amazing to see the changes the gospel brings in people's lives.
I have never EVER been soo excited for conference, we had a countdown. It felt like CHRISTMAS DAY! But better. I loved the action words the speakers used to encourage us to join in the movement, "COME" "FOLLOW" "ACT" "SHARE" "INVITE" "RELY" all of these words require our effort. We must show Heavenly Father we ARE excising our faith AND because of that he will be bless us for our work!
 
Yesterday we went to see an "Eternigater" (someone who has been listening for the missionaries for a LONG time) When we got to her house she saw us and shut the blinds. An obvious sign that she doesn't want to talk to us....Sister Pastores started to walk away but I heard the scripture "FOR I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST" (Romans 1:16) almost shout in my head. I told her to wait and we knocked again.  This sweet lady opened the door and LET US IN! (Miracle!)
 
First time we meet with someone we try and discern what their needs are. This is one of the reasons why the spirit is the key role in telling us where we should take the lesson. BUT she had a 2 year old a grandson who was going CRAZY, like Tarzan of the jungle cray cray. He was throwing volleyballs at us, (I think Sister Pastores has a bruise on her face because of it) yelling, running around, beating his chest. I'm not kidding. It was crazy and so hard for us to discern what she needed. I felt the hymn book in my scripture case almost start pulsing and I knew the spirit was telling us to sing. Nowwww... ya'll know how much I like singing in front of people. I would probably rather eat goose liver again, BUT I knew that was what the lord was telling us to do.
 
We pulled out our hymn books and started singing "Love at Home" The effect was immediate. Little Tarzan boy stopped crying and thrashing on the floor and sat next to his grandma on the couch. The spirit just flooded into the room and we were able to talk about the gospel of Jesus Christ and discern this wonderful lady’s needs. By the end of the lesson she committed to pray about the Book of Mormon AND the Church (something she never had done before) She said "This time I really will ask God" I'm grateful for the power of the hymns (even if I can't hold a note) I know that Heavenly Father was helping us find a way to touch her heart.
 
Right now we are teaching a Bolivian family. a Chinese man (who doesn't believe in God...yet) a Jamaican woman, and some people from Mexico. Man I love Jersey. The work is going forward! I LOVE THIS GOSPEL!
Now’s the time for us to LIVE what we heard at conference! I love you all and I'm soo grateful for all of your love and support! Now let’s go share this happiness with others!
 
I LOVE YOU ALL SOO MUCH!
Hugs and kisses from the Garden State
Sister Houghton

No comments:

Post a Comment