Monday, August 4, 2014

August 4, 2014

Hello Family!

You survived another MTC* drop off. I'm so proud! The reunion looked like it was lots of fun.... I can't believe how much older everyone looks. Uncle Eric you and your whole family are in my prayers, I love you all!  

We've simply had an amazing week 

The Episcopal Church called us and said they wanted us to present "Mormonism" at their church. We were ecstatic, but also VERY nervous, we prayed and prayed and PRAYED for guidance, and fasted for help. We attended their service, and had the class right after. The class had lots of questions for us, we went through the history of the church...what better way to present our history than share the Restoration....when we shared the first vision with the members of the congregation, the room was completely silent, the spirit was testifying for us. It will be a moment I never forget on my mission. We testified to every person in the room that we knew these things to be true. They had lots of questions for us, some of the questions that would have made me terrified at the beginning of my mission but both Sister Crow and I felt Guidance and direction to know exactly what to say and we were able to answer every single question, with the spirits help. 

Some questions like Polygamy (it was asked toward the end and one man said "thank you for addressing the elephant in the room") blacks and the priesthood, do dogs go to heaven?....(that one sister Crow took care of, but I am becoming more of an animal lover on my mission. I have told people their dogs were cute and meant it! ...) temple sealing...and baptism for the dead. The minister testified to her congregation that is something the members of the church when Christ was on the earth did, she said "I wonder why we don't do that anymore" she quoted 1 Peter 4:6, with other doctrinal points she also testified that Christs church did those things. It was incredible. 

After we went to our church and it hit me how simply beautiful this gospel is. The chapel is simple and lets the spirit be the true teacher. I am grateful for the power that is in sacrament meeting when conducted by the priesthood of God. Or when members of the church testify of the truth. I said a silent prayer of gratitude to have this simple gospel in my life. 

Pat and Diego both bore their testimonies in sacrament meeting. I had the thought that if this was my last Sunday in the ward I would remember it forever......

Wellllll I found out this morning that I am getting transferred. I was a little surprised. I love this area, I LOVE this ward. I know that this is Gods will and I will Go and DO whatever the Lord wants. I have come to the conclusion that getting transferred is something the Lord wants me to learn. This will be my 10th transfer conference, and my 7th area. Pretty rare for a Sister Missionary. But I'm grateful for this opportunity, I know I have a lot to learn and I am excited to spend the next 3 months. "But if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart and put your trust in him, and serve him with ALL diligence of mind, if ye do this, he will...deliver you" Mosiah 7:33 
I'm grateful for the surprises and the opportunities this mission brings. I love this work!

Sending love from New Jersey
Sister Houghton

P.S I'm going to be a GRANDMA!!! Sister Andrus is training! I am so excited for her, she's going to bless that new sisters life. 

* The day Elder Houghton went into the MTC we had MIRACLE after MIRACLE. That night I was reflecting on this miraculous day and it hit me... Every member of the family is blessed when a missionary is serving, even the missionaries in the field.

At the top of the Newark chapel. This is right next to the steeple.

No comments:

Post a Comment